angelarts1 store 12.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE Antique Bavaria Roses & Grapes Plate O & E G RoyalRomantic Prairie Victorian Authentic Signed by Artist LaportegThis is an incredibly beautiful AUTHENTIQUE vintage platefrom Oscar Edgar Guthrez!With the highest caliber of the painting it is just amazing!The roses & grapes are so soft and beautiful….theyalmost look realistic!How the lightchocolate and light moss green are shadowed in just really frames the roses& grapes for a subtle romantic feeling!Gives a very antique tone also…The incredible detail prevails in the white highlighting onthe rose edges and spots on the grapes made to appear as light reflecting…It is not actually paint …it is white porcelain slipapplied! This gives additional dimension to the painting as well! This is afine art application.Signed by the artistLaporteg. The artist really had mastery of the art of this type ofpainting!The edge is gilded in a nice band. There is a tiny bit ofwear on the gold in a few places. It definitely does not detract from thebeauty of this antique fine art piece!The backstamp marks are; O & EG Royal Bavaria -Handpainted.I found this info on an eCRATER guide.O&EG Royal Austria hallmark on porcelain; made by Oscarand Edgar Gutherz of Alt-Kohlaw, Austria between 1889-1918. Hallmarked in green with wreath; word Royalin wreath, O&EG above and Austria below. Hand painted porcelain; piecesoften signed by artist.I found this info about thecompany on Porcelain Marks and More dot com. Very interesting!O & EG (Oscar Edgar Guthrez) Porzellanfabrik RudolstadtStraus & Söhne A.G. (1882 until 1930)The company of Lazarus Straus & Sons was founded in 1869and successfully specialized on the import and resale of glass and ceramics. By1874 Nathan Straus (Lazarus' son) had convinced the company of R.H. Macy(Macy's) to allow small shop-in-shop based glass and chinaware department ineach of their stores. Business quickly increased and so the US-based 'New Yorkand Rudolstadt Pottery Co. Inc.' was founded in 1882 with their subsidiary inGermany supplying the Straus business with own porcelain products in the rangeof luxury goods like figures, elaborate coffee sets and such. During the yearsbetween 1882 and 1889 the director of the Rudolstadt factory was Carl LouisChristian Eduard Müller who in 1890 founded his own porcelain company under thename of E.&A. Müller in the town of Schwarza-Saalbahn.At first the company in Germany only concentrated on theitems created in the Rudolstadt factory but with expanding business and thefollowing opening of further subsidiaries in both France (decoration studio inthe Limoges area) and Austrian Bohemia (second studio and warehouse nearCarlsbad) in 1891 the Rudolstadt-based company also started to function ascoordinator and export relay for all subsidiaries while the London-based (andmore glass-related) business remained nearly independent. It should bementioned here that already in 1913 the German factory employed around 300 workers,roughly one third of those were occupied with export transactions only.The different subsidiaries used their own marks and so onenormally encounters specialized German, French or Austrian versions. Howeverthere also are two exceptions: next to the typical French 'L.S.&S. Limoges'and Austrian 'L.S.&S. Carlsbad' versions the most used mark is the Germanversion showing a crowned lozenge with the initials 'RW' standing for'Rudolstadt Works'. That mark together with the more elaborate 'CROWN RUDOLSTADT'type was *not* only used for the German business but also used for items fromthe Austrian Bohemian deals made exclusively with the company of Oscar & Edgar Gutherz. The reason for thisdeviation from the normal procedure of using the 'L.S.&S. Carlsbad' marklike on items for example purchased from Moritz Zdekauer was that Lazarus' sonNathan as the main director of the German factory and central purchasingcoordinator was married to the sister of Oscar and Edgar, Lena Gutherz. Thebusiness relationship by the way also included the financial backing of theGutherz business by Straus & Sons and as if all that was not confusingenough Edgar Gutherz himself was actually married to a woman named Lina.During the first years the company in Germany at first disregardedthoughts of marking their items but with increasing business and thoughts offurther expansion it became obvious that one should introduce some sort oftrademark. The first documented mark of the German company was the versionregistered on May 22nd 1896 which was introduced as an own marking for theirproducts after the acquisition of Macy's department stores and was one of thelast introductions by Lazarus Straus who died the same year. That first markwas used without additions until 1904 when the company registered another mark,the basic 'eagle-on-shield' . Following the introduction of the eagle mark, thecrowned 'RW' was continued with the additions 'Germany' and 'Rudolstadt' until1924, the year which not only saw the introduction of the '(Royal) Schwarzburg'mark but also the US company reforming under the name of Nathan Straus &Co.In that context it should be mentioned that some sourcesincorrectly state that the 'RW' mark was only used until 1918, the result of atranslation error that has to do with various people and their connections toStraus & Sons. To keep it short, 1918 was the year that the Gutherzbrothers together with other businessmen founded the OEPIAG (later EPIAG) andin this context the use of the old Straus import marking on Gutherz items wasofficially canceled while the mark itself remained in use until 1924.Anyway, the Germany company over the years not only producedown items but also increased their work as coordinator for all Europeanfactories that supplied Straus until they were forced to close in 1930following the drastic changes in worldwide economics.Using the term 'Royal Rudolstadt' in context with thismanufacturer is highly misleading for potential customers as that registeredtrademark was owned by Beyer & Bock from the Volkstedt part of the city ofRudolstadt-Volkstedt. Claims of Straus being in US importer of Beyer & Bockitems and thus being linked to the 'Royal Rudolstadt' fame are as incorrect ascan be as both never did any business together. In fact the two were swornenemies as Straus never forgave Beyer & Bock for their registration of the'Royal Rudolstadt' mark, a trademark Straus had unsuccessfully tried to acquirehimself.The common misrepresentation of 'Royal Rudolstadt' actuallybelonging to Straus & Sons is largely based on incorrect informationpublished by the Kovels who apparently simply copied incorrect information froma notoriously unreliable source, author R. Röntgen. R. Röntgen not only screwedup on the owners of the trademark, he also claimed that the Straus mothercompany was named 'Lewis Straus & Sons' and had resided in Germany under anEnglish company name, both of course being absolute nonsense. Anyway, peopletrying to pass off Straus & Sons items as 'Royal Rudolstadt' may just berelying on an insecure source (Kovels) but just as many sellers actually *know*that they are misrepresenting. Buyer beware.