angelarts1 store 12.00 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Candlesticks Duncan & Miller 1937 Canterbury 115 Elegant Glass VintageThis is 2 single candlesticks by Duncan & Miller Glassin the Canterbury pattern # 115. Adiscontinued pattern from 1937. They are incredible with the crystal glass look so prevalentfrom the famous makers of elegant vintage glass. Crisp & clear!These are a simplistic and classic design.Lovely and sweet!Perfect for Romantic Prairie, Elegant Chic, Regency or otherspecial décor theme! So many possibilities!They measure 3.5" tall and 4.5” base. No chips or cracks...fine condition!The story of Duncan-Miller glass began in 1865 when GeorgeDuncan bought the glass factory of Ripley & Company, a small buildinglocated at 10th and Carson Streets in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He had beenassociated with D.C. Ripley and the company previously. Ultimately both men decidedto seek other partners.George Duncan formed the company of George Duncan &Sons, a partnership with his sons, Harry B. Duncan and James E. Duncan, andAugustus H. Heisey, the husband of his daughter, Susan. At that time theSouthside of Pittsburgh was the industrial hub of the city. The factory waslocated just two blocks from the Monongahela River which provided an easy andcheap access, by barge, for the sand, silica and potash needed to make theglass, in addition to low cost coal for the furnaces.One of the men who was persuaded to join the company in 1874was John Ernest Miller, who had been in glass manufacturing for twenty years.He was foreman of the mould shop of King, Son and Company when Duncan hired himas a designer. His [George Duncan] decision was a wise one, for John ErnestMiller became internationally famous for his designs of Duncan and Miller glassduring the next fifty-two years.About 1890 The United States Glass Company succeeded informing a glass trust by gaining control of the various Pittsburgh glasscompanies. Although George Duncan & Sons joined this combine, they wererelieved to have the association end in 1892 when their plant was destroyed byfire. At this time Augustus Heisey decided to leave the company and start hisown glass house in Newark, Ohio.James E. Duncan Sr. had become head of the firm in 1877 whenGeorge Duncan died. He now selected a site for the new factory on JeffersonAvenue in Washington, Pennsylvania. Natural gas for the furnaces was plentifuland cheap in Washington County and the railroads replaced the barges in transportingthe basic raw materials.On January 3, 1893, the new plant was finished. The 16 Pot Deep Eye furnace was fired up and the first pattern to be made onFebruary 9th was reputed to be the Mitchell pattern.The period from 1893 to the closing of the plant in 1955 isgenerally known as the Duncan-Miller period, although the partnership structurewas not changed until November 15, 1900, when the firm was incorporated asDuncan and Miller Glass Company. At that time John Ernest Miller became astockholder along with members of the Duncan family.The method of making hand made glass at the Duncan &Miller Glass Company was not much different than that of the numerous smallplants scattered in the tri-state area of Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia.Only the artistry of design, the skill of the workers, the batch formulas andthe lovely colors have distinguished their glass from others of the time. Mostpieces required that ten persons handle each piece. Some, like the famous swan,which is considered one of the finest pieces ever produced by any firm,required fourteen.All the work...came to an abrupt end on June 13, 1955.Machines and assembly lines for making glassware made the production of finehand made glass uneconomical and decision was made to close the plant. Theinventory was advertised for sale and people came hundreds of miles to buy thelast pieces of Duncan-Miller hand made glass at greatly reduced prices.Most of the moulds, machinery and equipment were sold to theU.S. Glass Company to be used by their Duncan Division to make Duncan- ware.The plant on Jefferson Avenue was finally sold but beforethe new owners, Andy Bros., could move in a fire completely destroyed thebuilding on June 29, 1956.